A Cheat’s Guide to Dairy-Free Mince PiesWhat is Christmas without Mince Pies?
Even if you’re not a fan yourself, you are bound to know someone who is, and this vegan recipe will please even the fussiest of taste buds. The best part – it’s the simplest recipe you will ever follow. Seriously. Pudology are all about simple indulgences and these are the perfect complement to that.
12 mince pies
10 minutes prep, 20 minutes cooking
1 packet of Jus-Rol Shortcrust pastry, defrosted.
1 jar of vegan-friendly mincemeat (we got ours from Waitrose)
2 tbsp Icing sugar
If you’re feeling more adventurous, you could make the mincemeat or even the pastry yourself.
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2) Dust a clean surface with flour.
3) Grease a muffin tin with dairy free margarine. Once greased, sprinkle with flour.
4) Roll out half of the pastry onto the floured surface, to about 1/2 cm thick.
5) Using a pastry cutter, cut out 12 circles of pastry.
6) Press them into the muffin tin.
7) Fill each with 1-2tsp of mincemeat.
8) Roll out the rest of the pastry to 1/3 cm thick and cut out 12 smaller circles.
9) Place these on top of the pies and pinch the pastry together with some dairy-free milk to assist in the melding of the pastry.
10) Cut two slashes into the top of each pie with a sharp knife.
11) Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry starts to brown.
12) Leave to cool and then remove from the muffin tin.
13) Dust with icing sugar and serve.
The mere thought of mince pies bring on an overwhelming sense of Christmas and festivities and this just makes the thought of biting down on these lovely little pies even more enjoyable!