Vegan Key Lime Pie – Gluten Free Recipe
Now that the sunshine has finally disappeared and we face rain for the duration of the July, we decided to put together a zesty gluten free recipe in an attempt to brighten up your day!
These key lime pies are light, creamy, cool and full of flavour. They are also entirely chocolate free (shock!), so if you are cooking a gluten free recipe for anyone who doesn’t like chocolate these are a perfect summery go-to! In fact, you can store them in your freezer for up to two weeks and simply whip them out when you have guests. Why not put together a batch for those unexpected visitors?
You can make them as key-lime bites, as we have done, or you can go the whole hog and create a full sized pie – the choice is entirely yours!
As always, the recipe is a gluten-free recipe and suitable for vegan and vegetarian diets. Feel free to exchange the lime for lemon or even orange if your taste-buds crave an alternative tang.
Vegan Key Lime Pies
vegan, vegetarian. gluten-free,
Yield: 12 pies
Prep time: 30 minutes (plus 8+ hours to soak the cashews)
Cook time: freeze overnight
200g Digestive biscuits (ensure they are vegan and/ or gluten-free to suit your dietary requirements)
100g vegan margarine (melted)
1tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
175g cashews (soaked)
200ml coconut milk
2tbsp Pudology coconut yoghurt (optional)
2 unwaxed limes, juiced and zested
100ml maple syrup
75ml rice bran oil (or other vegetable oil)
5ml vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°c and line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
2. Blend the biscuits in a food processor. Transfer to a mixing bowl, add melted butter and combine.
3. Spoon the biscuit base into the cake cases. Press down with the back of the spoon until flat.
4. Transfer the bases to the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
6. Place the ingredients for the filling into a food processor (apart from the limes). Blend until smooth.
7. Add the juice and zest of the limes and blend until combined.
8. Pour the filling into the cake cases. Once filled evenly, tap the muffin tray onto a hard surface to get rid of any air bubbles.
9. Cover the pies in cling film and place into the freezer. Leave overnight.
10. To serve, take the pies out of the freezer 30 minutes beforehand to defrost.
These gluten free treats are best enjoyed quickly – before the topping reaches room temperature!
They certainly make for a delicious way to cool off during the warm (OK, it’s just muggy) weather…
If you try these beauties out, then be sure to send us some pictures of your wonderful creations! We hope you love them as much as we did!